Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Question of the Week: Due 3/13/2009

[The Question of the Week is due on Friday, 3/13/2009 by 5:00 PM. It should be at least 250 words in length. Include to research links that lend support to your answer. ]

Background: As I shared in Check-In today, I was "had bad" by a web site. I was looking at practice test questions for high school teacher credentials and took what I thought was a sample test. To get the results of the test, I had to enter my cell phone number to get test results in a text message, and click a Continue button. I did get a text message. But, the web site also charged my cell phone account $9.99 for a horoscope service when I clicked the Continue button -- but hid the fact. I called my provider, ATT, which credited my account the $9.99 and told me the web site set itself up to charge me $9.99 every month. So, ATT put a text message billing block on my account in addition to crediting my account. To exit the web site, a user has to click another Continue button, which also tries to charge more money to your cell phone account.

It happens for all kinds services, like ringtones and horoscopes. Here's more info about the problem:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/false-charges-on-cell-phone-bill-for-ring-tones-c29729.html

http://www.wwaytv3.com/troubleshooters_cell_phone_scam/01/2008

Question(s) of the Week: What might be clues to you that a web site is going to charge your or your parents' cell phone account? What should you do if it happens? How might you avoid it? How big is the problem? Though it might not be ethical, is the practice illegal? Be sure to include at least two links to further information that supports your answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home