Wednesday, September 19, 2007

ICA-CP: 9/20/07 - Still far away

Good morning!

I'm writing this on Wednesday evening. I had thought that I would be with you in class today. But, I have to tell you what happened. . .

My father is 84 years old and has a heart condition. He went to the doctor today at UC Davis Medical Center. The doctor found that he has aneurisms in his aortic artery that that are about to burst. That is, they found not one but two bulges in the artery that goes to his heart. If they burst, he dies. So, he is in the hospital tonight and is having emergency surgery tomorrow. I'll be with him in the hospital tomorrow for the 6-hour long operation. He has an 85% of surviving the surgery. If he doesn't have the surgery, he has a zero percent chance of surviving. I should be in class on Tuesday.

I've read all of your blogs. Thank you for them. I just finished updating Powerschool with your blog points. Some of you are doing great and are almost finished with Karel the Robot assignments 1-6. Some of you are struggling a bit. Assignments 1-6 are due by the end of class Thursday, 9/20/07, unless you call me or email me to make other arrangements. No one called me on Tuesday. So, I'm assuming that none of you were struggling so much that you needed to help over the phone. Now, the phone in room 403 needs a code to call outside of school. If you need to get me and the substitute teacher does not know the code, call the office and ask them the code or ask them to call me. I'll phone back to the room. Again, my cell phone number is 530-383-4217. If you email me, dclingingsmith@icacademy.org, you must get a confirmation email back from me to extend your due date.

To turn in you assignments, go to the R drive. Under my name, there is a folder named "Turn in Your Karel Programs Here - Find Your Name." You should find a folder with your name on it in that subdirectory. Now, that folder is special. It belongs to you, and only you can get into it. It is keyed to your student number login. You must use your login to get into it. If you login as "student", you will be locked out of your folder. Copy your assignments into your folder. If the assignments are not in that folder, they are not considered to be turned-in to me. If you have problems, phone me. Your assignments should be named correctly (or points will be deducted) and end in .kjp for "Karel Java Program," NOT .kw which designates a Karel world.

So, here are the grading criteria for your programs:
1) Did it compile and run exactly as the assignment required? (If you give me a Karel world instead of a program, that's zero points. If your program does too much, like pick up beepers in assignments 1 and 2, then that's points off. If your program does not do enough, like pick up beepers in assignment 3, points will be deducted.)
2) Was the program named correctly? (If you give me a file ending in .kw instead of .kjp, points will be deducted.)
3) Did you turn-in your programs in the correct folder?
4) Did you turn-in your programs in a timely fsshion?

If you are finished with Karel the Robot assignments 1-6, it's time to do something a little bit different for a while. Go do the assignment in the blog entry titled "Learning My Learning Style."

There should still be some brainfood in the closet. You can ask our substitute teacher for help getting to it. Again, if you're stuck, phone me (I'll just be sitting around in a hospital waiting room, waiting for phone calls!). If you can't do that, email me. As a very last resort, leave a comment on this blog.

See you all on Tuesday for check-in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home